Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZeroAi

What Fantasy or litRPG books have you read lately?

3 posts in this topic

I just completed the Ritualist (The Completionist Chronicles Book 1) and really enjoyed it :-)

There are a few odd things about how it starts, but I have to say I totally agree with the nearly 5 star rating this book gets.

The main character, Joe, finds himself a quadriplegic after a horrible accident, but then is invited to be one of the first to play a new full immersion VR game.

And since you start the game off with similar stats your had in real life, Joe starts off as an intelligent but extremely week human character.

Thankfully, his role as a combat medic prior to his accident gives him a rare healing ability which turns out to be a real plus for his character.

For those interested, here's a summary from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2TgTfL3

The decision to start a new life is never an easy one, but for Joe the transition was far more literal. After making the decision to become a permanent addition to a game world, it doesn't take him long to learn that people with his abilities are actively hunted. In fact, if the wrong people gained knowledge of what he was capable of, assassins would appear in droves.

In his pursuit of power, Joe fights alongside his team, completes quests, and delves into the mysteries of his class, which he quickly discovers can only be practiced in secret. Ultimately, his goal is to complete every mission, master every ability, and learn all of the world's secrets. All he has to do is survive long enough to grasp greatness.

DownRiverRat likes this

I recently completed Death March (Euphoria Online Book 1) and also really enjoyed it :-)

The setup early in the story is a little far fetched but interesting, and the main character, Chris, is like-able and someone you can route for.

In short, Chris gets a chance to spend a weekend of full immersion VR in which he hopes he can win his brothers freedom in the real world.

The only catch is, he must survive his time in game without a single respawn to get a chance at winning his brother's pardon.

And to make matters worse, his free ticket into the virtual world starts him off in the worse possible way.

For those interested, here's a summary from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2R2vYv3

I sacrificed everything for my family. It wasn't enough. I lost my mother, and now I'm about to lose my brother. 

I've got only one thing left to gamble: my life. Which is why I'm willing to play Euphoria Online in Death March mode. 

If I survive six months in-game against a lethal array of wyverns, ogres, necromancers, and more, I'll earn my brother a pardon. 

If I lose? 

Well. I'm done with losing.