Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZeroAi

What Sci-Fi Books have you read lately?

6 posts in this topic

Recently just read, "Negation Force: Obsidan Fleet Book 1" (Sci-Fi Space War/Alien Attack)

The book follows several groups of soldiers who try to fight off an alien species attack on a human world.

I felt the book started off well, but then got mired in minutiae before hitting it's stride in the final third of the book.

It's not uncommon for "Book 1" of a series to have pacing issues, however I'm not sure I liked the characters enough to pickup book 2.

For those interested, here's the official summary from https://amzn.to/2qMgrUz

The human Confederation has known an unprecedented time of peace, unheard of in a universe where every other species is not only technologically advanced, but also incredibly hostile.

The good times are about to end.

Out on the fringes, the planet Atlantis is attacked by an alien foe remembered only by the oldest members of the Space Corps. These aliens – known as Vraxar – are abominations of flesh and metal, driven to exterminate every other life form in the universe. Now it’s humanity’s turn.

In the ruins of the Tillos military installation, Sergeant Eric McKinney is determined to fight back and find out why the Vraxar have come. Meanwhile, a response fleet is mustered with the intention of facing the enemy head-on. It’s a mission with no hope of success.

As events unfold, it becomes apparent the Vraxar have secrets which give clues to their purpose. The answers are more shocking than anyone could have imagined.

The lives of strangers are intertwined and together they must try and salvage something from this first exchange in a war that will not end until one side is utterly defeated. Luckily, the Tillos base holds secrets of its own…a warship with an exceptionally powerful Obsidiar core is contained within an underground bunker. It is the only hope for Atlantis…

Negation Force is a science fiction action and adventure book which begins The Obsidiar Fleet series.

Author’s Note: this book is set forty years after events in the Survival Wars series. There is no necessity to read the earlier books to enjoy this one.

DownRiverRat likes this

I listen to audiobooks more nowadays than reading because of a 45+ minute drive to and from work. But I also have a Nook and recently picked up Dune Heritics, the fifth book in the series. Once I started reading it I realized I needed to re'read' (aka listen) to the previous books, so that's what I did. Now I'm back to reading Heritics... Lol 

Greylock3491 likes this

On 11/17/2018 at 6:07 PM, DownRiverRat said:

I listen to audiobooks more nowadays than reading because of a 45+ minute drive to and from work. But I also have a Nook and recently picked up Dune Heritics, the fifth book in the series. Once I started reading it I realized I needed to re'read' (aka listen) to the previous books, so that's what I did. Now I'm back to reading Heritics... Lol 

So how's Dune as a book/audio book?

I've seen the movie but never read the book...

DownRiverRat likes this

Since I had read the book prior to seeing the movie, I thought the movie was just ok. Although the major parts of the story were told, so much of the book was either omitted or changed. I also realize the movie is just 'based' on the book and this happens all the time. It's just to bad that's how you experienced it....... lol.

The book is excellent, as all the Dune books are, whether you read or listen to it. The audio book was an excellent presentation, with some oddities. Why? The primary reader, Simon Vance, does an amazing job in any book he reads, and Dune is no exception. This book however, has an entire cast that, at times, reads each character. This is where the oddity comes in. Sometimes Simon Vance reads the entire track, including voicing each character. And some tracks are performed by the rest of the cast with Simon Vance narrating. It's particularly distracting when this happens in the middle of a 'scene'. I've listened to the audio book several times, so I'm prepared for it now, but the first time it was kind of weird... :D Either way it's a great listen. But I kind of wish they had stuck with the entire cast because, as good as Simon Vance is, some of the rest of the cast are very entertaining as well. Especially whoever played the Baron... 

But overall, however you experience it, reading or listening, Dune and it's sequels are great books. :thumbsup:  

Greylock3491 likes this

I love audio books! But now that I don't drive 4+ hours a day I don't listen to them much anymore... :-( But I love that I'm not wasting my life behind the wheel now! :-)

DownRiverRat likes this