Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HeavyHitter55

Front Office Football

10 posts in this topic

Trying to gauge interest in a league using Front Office Football.  It's a CPU text-based simulation - read more about it here:

http://www.solecismic.com/

I personally haven't tried it, but it sounds very in-depth and fun.

I purchased it and started fiddling around - this is extremely detailed. Almost too much! Definitely something I'm going to explore and delve into.

I'll give my $0.02 as I go.

I'd be interested in doing something along those lines.  I might have a strange addiction to spreadsheet simulator games.  Thanks for pointing this game that I didn't know I needed out.

HeavyHitter55 likes this

33 minutes ago, aquickassasin said:

I'd be interested in doing something along those lines.  I might have a strange addiction to spreadsheet simulator games.  Thanks for pointing this game that I didn't know I needed out.

Feed the addiction!

After some brief play through - here's a small sample of how in depth this game is:

Out of the Box:

• With no editing, each player is an NFL player
  • Due to NFL rights, team names are not their real-life counter parts; however, you can re-name teams (no big deal)
  • Currently, there's a deal to purchase version 8 for $22.50; otherwise, it is $30
  • You can choose to have a single-player franchise, or online multiplayer

Rosters & Players:

• You can have up to a 60 man roster, with an allowed 46 players active week-to-week.
  • Each and every player has various properties:
    • Biographical (height, weight, experience, age, draft league information)
    • Status (team, active roster status, special teams status, contract & cap info); even agent!!!
    • 'Player Fingerprint': health, 'seasonal rust', injury history, IQ test results, all of the tangible combine info (40 yard dash, bench press, etc), development, team loyalty, winner or $$$ mentality, leadership, attitude, scheme fits
    • Scouting - AKA ratings: run D, pass rush tech, pass rush strength, man-to-man D, zone D, etc
  • For every player, you can change position (within reason - meaning you can't change a DL to a CB or OL, but you can change them to logical/similar positions)
  • Long story short - you have all of the capability of what a typical video game provides, and then some!  This is very intense, very in depth, and very realistic.

Team Management:

• You have your normal trade, franchise tag, FA, draft periods
  • You have complete control over your staff down to the coordinators
  • Cap management with a varying cap increase year after year
  • I haven't gotten into the offseason but there's periods identified as:
    • Staff Retention
    • Staff Draft
    • Pre-Free Agency
    • Free Agency
    • Pre-Draft
    • Amateur Draft
    • Late Free Agency
    • Training Camp

In-season game/week-to-week activities:

• You have complete control over your playbook
    • You can create plays
    • Move plays in and out of your playbooks
    • You can create weekly game plans (for O & D) for a wide multitude of situations
    • You can set player substitutions based on personnel (there are up to 12 offensive and 6 defensive personnel combinations in my playbook)
  • You have game plan details you can set (I won't get into details - there's a whole screen full of situations)
  • You have a scouting department which breaks down your next opponent by position and further goes on to compare against how you match up
  • If you want, you can choose to call your own plays during the game as it simulates; otherwise, you can let your coordinators make the calls based on the plays you selected for your game plan

Other/Fluff:

• Standings, player of the week, mid-season playoff breakdowns
  • Draft history
  • Power rankings, roster breakdowns by strength, unit cohesion (chemistry)
  • Yearly, career, etc stats
  • Awards (HOF, Bowl winners, season awards, player of the year, coach of the year)
  • Owner control:
    • Franchise value
    • Financial reports and control
    • Stadium control
    • City relocation

I think this list gives you all an idea of how detailed this game is and can be for a multiplayer league.  At the very least, this is going to be something I'm going to try to invest time into.

I never thought I'd be one for a text simulator, but seeing how in depth this is - I'm very excited to explore this game.

I apologize for kind of being all over the place here - there's so much information, it's hard to list it all and give the impression of how in depth this game is, but I can see how a football head can truly get immersed in such a game!

I'll give more details when I'm home but the scouting reports for opponents is very detailed as well.

Im no insider to the inner workings of NFL scouting reports or game plan development, but I'd imagine that the data presented can best be described as the analytics that we all hear about now. 

1 hour ago, HeavyHitter55 said:

I'll give more details when I'm home but the scouting reports for opponents is very detailed as well.

Im no insider to the inner workings of NFL scouting reports or game plan development, but I'd imagine that the data presented can best be described as the analytics that we all hear about now. 

The game is a bit overwhelming at first.  There's just so much information.  I have to say though, they need to hire a UX person to try to get a better UI.  Coming to this after playing Football Manager is a bit of a shock.

HeavyHitter55 likes this

13 minutes ago, aquickassasin said:

The game is a bit overwhelming at first.  There's just so much information.  I have to say though, they need to hire a UX person to try to get a better UI.  Coming to this after playing Football Manager is a bit of a shock.

I agree completely. The UI is not this game's strength but once you get past that this is a strong game

To elaborate on my previous post, here's a snippet showing what I mean:

FOF Film Study Snippet.PNG

Again - I cannot begin to explain how in depth this game is...

I did one of those back in the day for Hockey and one for wrestling which I got SERIOUSLY addicted too. Then a few years ago I stumbled upon all the WWE 2K (back when it was still SD Vs Raw) creative stuff (create wrestlers, titles, shows, arenas, matches, etc). I did a couple shows and posted them on live but it was super time consuming and no one was downloading them lol. I’ve gotten the itch recently to do them again. Been thinking of when I buy a new computer, making the shows again and uploading them to YouTube.