LynnRamos

NFL Season Thread

90 posts in this topic

Yep, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the Jeffrey Lurie ideology of simply outscoring and putting up points instead of stopping people from scoring. While offense is important, from 2008 and beyond has proven that defense is more important.

I say it every season: I miss J.J.

See motto below

That said, the offense is important too.

See motto below

That said, the offense is important too.

I never said that offense is worthless, just that defense is more important...

Okay, I have to get some of this off of my chest, so I apologize for the length of this post - it's going to be a long one...

Here's how poorly run Chip Kelly's run this team into the ground: four weeks ago, I was yelling in my house that I want Mark "Butt Fumble" Sanchez to be the starter.  Mark-Freaking-Sanchez.  Why?  Because he'll at least take some gambles.  Granted, some (many) of his gambles end poorly, but he'll take them.  That's a necessary risk in this game - sometimes you have to just throw it out there and hope that guys make a play.  That's sports, that's competition.

This past offseason, Jeffrey Lurie gave Chip Kelly the reigns over this entire team.  So, theoretically, this team should be the closest thing to a Chip Kelly-Team.

Out with LeSean McCoy (Twinkle Toes as I like to call him) in with DeMarco Murray and Ryan Mathews.  Both downhill runners "more suited" to what Kelly wants.  However, wouldn't any football coach want runners who hit the hole with force and violence and pick up yards - isn't that the point of this entire game?  I'm satisfied with this change.

At QB - out with Nick Foles, who the season previous, threw 27 TDs to 2 INTs in 13 games played (10 starts).  The following year, he struggled - playing only half the season, throwing 13 TDs and a whopping 10 INTs.  His internal clock was off, often imaging pressure when there wasn't and vice versa, which led to poor play.  With his struggles in St. Louis - people are catching onto him more.  However, didn't Bradford struggle in St. Louis as well?  I'm willing to say that it's a combination of things - St. Louis isn't a good football team and has allocated resources poorly, and Nick Foles is a mediocre starting QB at best who happened to thrive for one season (ref. 2008 Matt Cassel).  Bradford has been lulling me to sleep this entire season with exception to the Week 3 preseason game against the Pack.  He makes two reads and throws to the check down.  However, when the check down receiver is (or should be) his second read, he has tunnel vision.  He's overly conservative, and has an inconsistent offensive line in front of him.  This is a contributing factor to his struggles.  I believe that regardless of who's the starting QB - he would struggle this season.  Whether it be Bradford, Sanchez, Foles, (Mariota, Kap, RGIII, so on and so forth).  The QB is only as good as the five men in front of him.  Which brings me to my next discussion point:

The offensive line.  Jason Peters is an absolute beast.  Lane Johnson is turning into a wonderful player.  Jason Kelce has struggled this season for some reason.  Allen Barbre has been good at times, mediocre others.  And the revolving door at Left Guard has been a mystery since the offseason with the release of Evan Mathis.  With down hill runners, you need a powerful and forceful interior line.  We don't have that.  And even worse - that's not how Chip Kelly uses his offensive line.  Kelly "uses the width of the field" as he states in almost every play breakdown that I've seen him comment on.  You know what?  If you claim that you're a run-first team, and replace arguably a top-tier running back with backs who better fit "your style", then sometimes you need to get nasty and let your physical down hill runners do their job.  Down hill runners don't like to get fancy and dance around like a ballerina.  They want to initiate contact and punch someone in the mouth to get the extra 2-4 yards.  And to milk them for everything on the field, you need to let them do that by making you play calls based on your personnel, not the other way around.  I mean, isn't that the response that Kelly's always given reporters when he's asked about why he doesn't idealize his team as one who uses a mobile QB?  This season has been like watching my toddler try to put square shapes through round, star, and triangular shaped holes.

Onto the rest of the offense: Kelly's mantra/rationale for moving DeSean Jackson and other twitchy & speedy receivers - "Big people beat up little people".  My response: only if they're used correctly.  Kelly likes to use all 53 yards of the field width - smart.  However, you're still limited to 11 players on offense and football is still being able to make plays, and match up.  Using the full width of the field is most efficient when you add a speed and quickness element to your players.  Which isn't something we necessarily have with Jordan Matthews, Riley Cooper (ugh), and Miles Austin.  I'll even add in Nelson Agholor and Josh Huff.  Those are our quicker players, but I wouldn't put them near the same classification as a DeSean Jackson-type player.  Kelly uses a lot of rub routes, which causes quasi-picks allowing receivers to run open.  This is risky given the state of how the NFL is turning to simply let Quarterbacks and receivers simply play pass and catch.  The theology is good, however the implementation is not.  The implementation does not reflect the word of mouth - it's more of less a PR stunt - say what the public & fan base, and reporters want to hear.  Our TEs are simply mis-used.  Celek is a spectacular blocker - he's also a wonderful receiver and runner.  He's no Jason Witten, however, he's very Witten-esque.  Zach Ertz is a great receiver, he runs crisp routes, and is great after the catch.  He hasn't seen the field much because of his Celek sub-par blocking.  However, that shouldn't limit his entire gametime play.  He's a threat, and should be used more frequently.  There's no rule in the NFL to be able to split him out wide, in the slot, or coming out of the backfield.  He doesn't always need to be lined up as a blocker to go out into a route.  Sproles isn't being used properly either - with a crowded backfield, Sproles should be in the slot more often and coming out of the backfield.  This season he's touched the ball a total of 68 times - 39 rushing, 29 receiving (less than 7/game).  With the amount of plays Kelly runs, this number should be increased doubled.  Sproles has been referred to as a Swiss Army Knife by Kelly - so why has he been used like a potato peeler (used only a couple times a year)?  A sub-note before I move on - Riley Cooper is absolutely pitiful.  The only reason why he makes plays is because no one covers him because he's so poor.  How he's remained on the team is beyond me.

Now, onto the defense:

Our glaring weakness last season and the season before, was the secondary.  It's been a weakness since before Kelly and after the passing of Jim Johnson (2008).  This was addressed with a flush and replenishment of our DBs - out with Cary Williams, Nate Allen, and Bradley Fletcher; in with top CB FA Byron Maxwell, Walter Thurmond, drafting of S/CB Eric Rowe (many viewed him with a 1st round grade), and JaCorey Shepherd.  Thurmond has been a hit - solidifying the safety position with Malcolm Jenkins; however, this was a shot in the dark that happened to be pointed at a barrel full of fish.  Maxwell has struggled, but is looking better - still not worth his price tag IMO, making bone-headed PI plays - we were getting the same with Cary Williams.  The promotion of Nolan Carroll has proven to be smart, yet, why now?  Why not 2 seasons ago?  He's obviously an improvement over Bradley Fletcher.  Our weakness has changed to an inconsistent strength.

Our linebackers have improved.  The major surprise to me was 3rd rounder Jordan Hicks.  Without the pec tear - he's defensive rookie of the year candidate.  He was simply amazing.  DeMeco Ryans is on his last leg.  Yes, he's a leader of the defense, but his body can't keep up with the game at this point - he's on the decline.  Kiko was a risk when we traded for him.  Before Kelly's grand-scheme was played out bringing in Mathews and Murray, in a one-for-one trade with Buffalo, the Bills seemed to have won with Kiko coming off of a major injury, and injuries have plagued him yet again this season.  Mychal Kendricks is great when he's on the field, but that's his problem - staying on the field.  Connor Barwin can be a great player at times and can disappear at times as well.  He's great when he's on, and does it job.  I was weary of Brandon Graham being able to be the starting outside linebacker but he's proven to be less of a liability than Trent Cole and is a little more versatile as a linebacker rather than a pass rusher as what Cole was.

Our shining bright spot is the defensive line.  Fletcher Cox is an animal and is one of the best defensive linemen in the league if you ask me.  It took me a while to warm up to Bennie Logan, but he's proven to be a good player at nose tackle.  Cedric Thornton is underappreciated in the league I think.  He's amazing against the run and holds the point of attack.  When Vinny Curry is in the game, he's disruptive and causes pressure a majority of the time he has his hand in the dirt.  The rest of our D-line is formidable as stop-gap players to come in for a few downs to let other rest or to play a few games when someone's down.  Brandon Bair, Taylor Hart, and Beau Allen have all done their jobs when called upon.

Special teams haven't been all too special relative to the last couple years.  Donnie Jones remains as the constant - he's a great punter.  Our coverage has been a little spotty at times, but overall they do their jobs.  Cody Parkey at Place Kicker was inconsistent from last season where he hit 32 of 36 before going to IR.  Caleb Sturgis is decent - there have been a number of kicks that are gimme's to good kickers that he's missed - he's a stop gap until Parkey comes back next season.  Teams have become aware of what Sproles can do and they've tightened up their coverage and directionally kicked to compensate.  We haven't been as disruptive as the past couple seasons in causing blocks and turnovers.  Without looking at stats, I'd say that as far as Special Teams goes, we're in the 2nd quartile at best - nothing special about Special Teams.

At the end of the day, our defense is better but still as inconsistent as years past.  Our offense is lost and defenses have found ways to match up.

I honestly don't believe much of what Kelly has to say about his philosophy, scheme, or anything really.  "Habits Reflect the Mission" - that's the Eagles' mantra this season.  I agree with this statement, but when the scheme to achieve that mission is mis-guided and when the leader of that mission has lost sight of his scheme, then the mission is lost.  I believe this is what has happened - Kelly has tried to do what Andy Reid tried to do in 2011 - create a "Dream Team" of star players who put up great individual achievements and statistics.  But as history repeats itself - the whole is always greater than the sum of the individual parts.  The parts here have the opportunity to do something that hasn't been done since 1960, but how they're used is misguided.

Kelly needs to realize that there are major team gaps which are missing in order to succeed and he needs to realize that a strategic and methodical jog is better than wind sprints.  Bradford is capable of being successful here, however, he needs better playcalling.  Enough with this junk of using the width of the field - teams are still stacking the box regardless.  Bring in blockers and have your actions reflect you words - run the ball regardless of the defensive playcall.  Good teams find ways to do what they're good at by adjusting and playcalling.

Unfortunately I think Jeffrey Lurie is too involved to see what's going on and it's going to be another couple years for a change.  Similarly I think Kelly is too used to coaching unguided college players who need hand holding.  There's a balance that is needed - you need to guide your players to make the right decisions, but you can't hold their hands like children.  Kelly's off balance in this department and is neglecting the major schematic changes that are necessary.  The Carolina Panthers are running what should be Kelly's offense - they're playing a power run game and playing the pass off of it to keep teams honest.

All-in-all, this is a giant mess and will take a significant amount of time to correct, whether it be Kelly or someone else.  It's like someone got irritated off in a Madden league and had a major fire-sale right before rage-quitting.

Someone, please, tell me I'm crazy here, that Kelly is actually a mastermind who's taking methodical steps to which I'm absolutely blind to.

End rant.

^ I do not follow the Eagles a lot but one of my favourite YouTubers is a huge Eagles fan. That is exactly (Almost word by word) what he believes also. The Eagles have great talent, they just do not know how to exploit it correctly.

On a side note, I really like Brock Osweiler. He looked very good today and did not panic. Threw some really good passes and was productive. He knew how to protect the football and took sacks instead of throwing it when pressured. It wasn't really a pretty win, but a W nonetheless.

19 minutes ago, LynnRamos said:

^ I do not follow the Eagles a lot but one of my favourite YouTubers is a huge Eagles fan. That is exactly (Almost word by word) what he believes also. The Eagles have great talent, they just do not know how to exploit it correctly.

On a side note, I really like Brock Osweiler. He looked very good today and did not panic. Threw some really good passes and was productive. He knew how to protect the football and took sacks instead of throwing it when pressured. It wasn't really a pretty win, but a W nonetheless.

Wow, I didn't think someone would actually read this in it's entirety. Thanks Ramos. 

glad we are finally healthy and doug martin is playing like its 2012. With mike evans as a top 10 wr and vincent jackson healthy. I really like our chances for a wildcard.Jameis Winston was the correct choice over mariota. He has great leadership in a qb that tampa bay hasnt had. I do believe our defense is finally playing good. Its been so long to be proud as a bucs fan and i like our chances moving forward

Incompetence

That's the best way to describe the Eagles coaching staff.

The way we played yesterday is beyond embarrassing. The way I see it,  it's all coming down to playcalling and adjustments which are the coaches' responsibility.

I'm just hoping for Jeffrey Lurie to cut his losses and move on from Kelly. Kelly made this team after we did well for 2 seasons in a row. What do you think he will do when he's despirate?

Bad drafting, bad team management, bad GM. Kelly is a glorified offensive coordinator and his lack of adjustments make him predictable and easy to defend against. He's not an NFL head coach and not an NFL GM. His head is below water and he's drowning. Time to step on his head and find someone who can at least tread water.

This is a mess...just as bad as Reid in his last 2-3 years.

Selling Fandom in the biggest dumpster fire team in the league that last year looked like they were a few pieces away from being competitive to whatever is on the field this season.  Yesterday was the first time I've turned a Browns game off in 3 years, and it makes me sad that it looks like they are about to go into another full rebuild.  However, if you are an opposing team coming Cleveland you can get 50 yard line, row 1 tickets for like 70 bucks.

This is going to be a bit scattered but...

After having some time to digest, I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time.  I'm not surprised though that Kelly was let go.  I'm surprised that it was Lurie who actually pulled the trigger before the season ended.  I was expecting him to stick with Kelly for another season at least - after seeing the dumpster fire at the end of Andy Reid's coaching career here, Lurie stuck with him for what I consider 3 seasons although we really had 2 non-winning seasons (starting in 2010 when McNabb was traded).

I'm mostly shocked to see this happen on a Tuesday night.  I can understand Sunday, the day after we lost to Washington, but with this coming out now at such an odd time (mid-week, before the end of the season), this tells me that this was a thought for a while.  Lurie likes to give second and third chances, and I think that Kelly blew his third chance with news coming out that Lurie and Kelly had a meeting this evening/afternoon.  After listening to Philadelphia radio, there's thoughts that Lurie tried to tell Kelly to relinquish GM powers, and Kelly said no.  I think Lurie's 2nd chance to Kelly was giving him that control at the beginning of this last offseason - possibly thinking, "we've finished 10-6 twice, made the playoffs once with Andy Reid's leftovers, let's see what he can do with a full offseason to build the entire team."  After that blew up in his face, his 3rd and final chance was trying to regain control - Kelly said no, Lurie fired Kelly.  That's by hypothesis.

I don't think this truly boils down to just these two things versus a number of red flags.  To name a few:

1. Kelly & Davis blaming players (see below)
  2. Losses to DET, TB, MIA, other sub-par teams - I count up to 7 losses that could've/should've been wins
  3. "I'm not the GM"
  4. Egotistical and arrogant
  5. "It's not my fault" attitude

About mid-season this year, a lot of finger pointing became public, a lot of talk started filtering out.  Jenkins saying that players aren't being held accountable.  Kelly and DC Davis putting a lot of blame on his players' performance.  Once I heard these things coming out, I was 100% convinced that Kelly is not the guy for this team, not a professional team.  He doesn't act like a professional, he acts like a clown.  He's far too egotistical and doesn't place enough (if any) value on his players as a part of the team or their contributions.  To him, it's: "You're on this team, you're getting paid, you're the player, I'm the coach, you do as I say, you're my puppet."  But once "his players" don't make the plays, it's their fault, not his, not his staff's.

After Saturday's loss to Washington, I spent Sunday looking at coordinators throughout the league.  I'm praying for a defensive coach.  I honestly believe that this is a good team.  Jordan Matthews is a movable chess piece, he's able to do things all over the field, he's big, he's tough.  Zach Ertz took a big step from last season, it's time he's used properly and milk his abilities.  DeMarco Murray isn't the type of player who you put out on sweeps and swings - you put him behind you QB and run traps, dives, and power plays.  We need help on the offensive line - that's definite.  This is an area that will hurt us in the future for a while.  The Cowboys spent multiple years building their line.  That's where games are won.  The QB and run game are as only as good as the people protecting them.  Sam Bradford isn't the answer, but I believe he's a capable starter when put in as a game manager-type of QB, especially in a league where you see Johnny Manziel as a starting QB.

Defensively we have the pieces.  Again, they weren't used correctly and it was only magnified by ignorant coaching.  Bill Davis is an idiot, he refuses to change game to game, possession to possession.  The few games that he did change, we did well (Week 6 vs Giants, Week 13 vs Pats).  We have All-Pros in Jenkins and Cox.  Cox is an absolute beast, he can play anywhere on the line and beat the man in front of him.  Jenkins, like Matthews is a movable chess piece on the defensive side of the ball.  Our front 7 would look great to return to a 4-3: starting on the line left to right: Brandon Graham, Fletcher Cox, Cedric Thornton (FA this season, but I see him coming back), Vinny Curry; at LB left to right: Mychal Kendricks, Kiko Alsonso, Connor Barwin.  In the back, I'm relatively comfortable as long as we play a scheme that doesn't leave every guy on an island: Thurmond turned out to be a terrific roll of the dice at safety, I think Eric Rowe is promising, Nolan Carroll was a surprise, Byron Maxwell is starting caliber, I think, but he absolutely cannot be expected to be left alone with no help all game, however.

Moving forward from here:

Maybe I'm trying to eat soup with a fork, but what about Sean McDermott???  He was definitely thrown into a blazing fire in 2009 following the passing of Jim Johnson.  Maybe after having time to acclimate himself to being the guy, maybe he's capable?  The Panthers have a team that I imagine we would look like as a 4-3.  We've had offensive minded coaches for over the past decade.  If it ain't broke, then don't fix it - well guess what?  We're broken, time to try something new.

Again, trying to eat soup with a fork, but Bill Cowher?  Maybe he wants to come back.  That's a HUGE maybe though, I don't see this happening.  I can wish though...

I believe that the offensive and defensive personnel are very capable and very talented.  We need the coach(es) to use them correctly.  An egotistical coach will not do that.  Yes there are holes - offensive line, wide receiver, defensive line (if both Curry and Thornton walk), and arguably quarterback.  However, we shouldn't enter a rebuild mode in any way, shape, or form.  There are a cluster of good players to use - just use them correctly...

On 13/9/2015 at 5:33 PM, LynnRamos said:

(2015 NFL Season Thread - Feel free to comment anything about this NFL season).

As I expected, Denver's Defense played lights out... I'm loving this Phillips 3-4 scheme, too bad Manning will most likely kill us this season, he can't throw and looks painfully slow even on handoffs... We have a Super Bowl Caliber Defense, hopefully, we can establish a run game or we will be depending on nailbitting 13-6 wins all year.

Welp, we are in the Super Bowl. The key will be not let the Panthers get a two score lead early. I'm confident on the Broncos secondary because they can match up well against the Carolina's receivers and on offense whoever lines up against Courtland Finnegan (The slot) can have a successful game, either Jordan Norwood or Bennie Fowler. And I believe Demarcus Ware will have a good game matching up against Michael Oher. We will see. 

3 hours ago, LynnRamos said:

Welp, we are in the Super Bowl. The key will be not let the Panthers get a two score lead early. I'm confident on the Broncos secondary because they can match up well against the Carolina's receivers and on offense whoever lines up against Courtland Finnegan (The slot) can have a successful game, either Jordan Norwood or Bennie Fowler. And I believe Demarcus Ware will have a good game matching up against Michael Oher. We will see. 

Don't act too excited.  It's not like your team is one of two teams in the league who's made it to the final dance...

LynnRamos likes this

So, it's very apparent that Howie Roseman's power has been restored in the chain of command in Philly.  We've locked in TE Zach Ertz for another 5 years, and TE Brent Celek for 3, (for now).  Word is that the man-beast DL Fletcher Cox, DE Vinny Curry, and T Lane Johnson are others who have offers or will have offers in the near future.  If the remaining three players sign, I'm ecstatic.  Lane Johnson took a good leap this past year and will only improve.  Nothing really needs to be said about Fletcher Cox - he's let his play speak for him since he arrived.  The dude's a freak and will even look better now that we're finally going back to a 4-3.  Same with Vinny Curry.  Curry's standout game to me was the Patriots game this past season.  He's amazing rushing the passer.  Put Cox and Curry on the field at the same time in a 1-gap front and let them go to work.  Don't worry about blitzing 3 or 4 times a drive, they were able to do their jobs in a 2-gap system, they'll excel in a 1-gap system.  Add in Brandon Graham on the other side, and you have 3 good pass rushers coming at you - someone's got to get in.

Other headlines are whether Bradford will come back or not.  I say at the very least we should tag him and trade him away.  We gave up a 2nd rounder and with the supposed demand that he'll be commanding in FA, why not get something for nothing?  Especially if the Eagles front office is convinced that he's not "The Guy".  But here's how I'm looking at it - why not keep Bradford?  Yes, he's too careful with the ball, and yes, he has 8" cement blocks duct taped to his ankles, but so what?  From what I'm expecting from Pederson - he's going to run the ball from under center.  Guess what?  We have two power backs who can do that pretty darn well if you ask me.  And let's be honest, how many Quarterbacks out there are truly "The Guy"?  We don't need another Tom Brady, Payton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers.  We need a guy who is going to be careful with the football, and know how to manage a game.  I'd put Bradford at that middle of the pack range and he's already careful with the football despite his stats and he didn't have an opportunity to manage a game because of how Kelly sprinted all over the field.  Pederson's slower and will allow things to methodically move.

"Who's Bradford going to throw to?"  I watched a only part of a compilation of every dropped pass by an Eagles receiver on YouTube the other day.  I barely made it to half way, and I was already up in the 50s.  Even if you double that and take 40% of those drops as completions, that pushes his completions from 346 of 532 (65%) to 386 of 532 (72%), which is amazing!  Give him another shot in a real offense with a power run game with power running backs, not some gimmicky college offense.  Oh yeah, and we have KR/PR/WR/RB Darren Sproles.  Draft a lineman first - Tackle or  Guard - keep Jason Peters (at Tackle or move him to Guard and shift Johnson to the left) and shore up the offensive line.  I'm staying with the saying: The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.  With Bradford and Peters you know what you're getting.  With a draft pick or a FA, you don't.  We can't have another aggressive FA period - we simply don't have the money.  We need to retain what we have (Curry, Thurmond, Bradford, Carroll), sign some low-level role players (pass rushers, big body linemen, special teams guys), and draft well.  Greatest emphasis on drafting well.  I still deeply believe that we have a winning roster - we do.  We need proper implementation and coaching.  Don't draft needs, draft talent and football IQ.  If the talent and IQ happens to fall into a need at the correct position, then great.  However, that rarely happens.

We don't have the money to spend on talent, we need to use the draft cap to our advantage and actually be smart about things.  We're not desperate - so don't act like it...

...End another rant...

On 13/9/2015 at 6:33 PM, LynnRamos said:

(2015 NFL Season Thread - Feel free to comment anything about this NFL season).

As I expected, Denver's Defense played lights out... I'm loving this Phillips 3-4 scheme, too bad Manning will most likely kill us this season, he can't throw and looks painfully slow even on handoffs... We have a Super Bowl Caliber Defense, hopefully, we can establish a run game or we will be depending on nailbitting 13-6 wins all year.

Welp, Super Bowl Champs. And with this game, this Denver defense has established themselves as one of the great defenses in history. Best part is that the Defense is still young, we have veterans such as Ware and Talib, but young for the most part.

Great statement win by one of the best defenses in history, in the conversation alongside the 74' Steelers, 85' Bears, 00' Ravens, 02' Bucs and 13' Seahawks.

Very well played game by the Broncos. Peyton should retire on top. With the stats that flashed up after the game, it's the best way to go out. Beat Brady on your way there, surpass Favre in total wins, get another ring, be the 2nd QB in history to retire after winning the SB. There's no better way to leave the game.

You're forgetting the 1991 Eagles in your list of great defenses though..........

Just saying, lol. 

Congrats again to the Broncos. 

Don't act too happy Ramos, it's not like your team just won the SB. Oh wait. Lol

LynnRamos likes this

8 hours ago, HeavyHitter55 said:

Very well played game by the Broncos. Peyton should retire on top. With the stats that flashed up after the game, it's the best way to go out. Beat Brady on your way there, surpass Favre in total wins, get another ring, be the 2nd QB in history to retire after winning the SB. There's no better way to leave the game.

You're forgetting the 1991 Eagles in your list of great defenses though..........

Just saying, lol. 

Congrats again to the Broncos. 

Don't act too happy Ramos, it's not like your team just won the SB. Oh wait. Lol

Lol. Oh yeah, that early 90's Eagles D was amazing. And also was the 2004 Eagles defense.

3 hours ago, LynnRamos said:

Lol. Oh yeah, that early 90's Eagles D was amazing. And also was the 2004 Eagles defense.

Yeah their lack of a playoff appearance that year gets the 91 Eagles forgotten a lot. Shows that the only stat that truly matters are wins and SB wins.