LynnRamos

NFL Season Thread

205 posts in this topic

(2015 NFL Season Thread - Feel free to comment anything about this NFL season).

As I expected, Denver's Defense played lights out... I'm loving this Phillips 3-4 scheme, too bad Manning will most likely kill us this season, he can't throw and looks painfully slow even on handoffs... We have a Super Bowl Caliber Defense, hopefully, we can establish a run game or we will be depending on nailbitting 13-6 wins all year.

HH, do you have confidence in Chip Kelly?

Offensively? Yes. Defensively? No. Bill Davis? No.

I saw the same thing last year. Inconsistent blitzing and ineffective adjustments (or lack there of) when the original gamelan was coming together as planned. Davis continuously neglects to adjust immediately and take resources from an ineffective blitz and allocate them to the passing game. Which is exactly what happened last night and throughout last season.

What Davis does isn't special by any stretch of the imagination. He just blitzes when he doesn't know what to do. Not creative blitzes either - constant double A-gap blitzes. So many times I saw Alonso and Kendricks push up the middle of the line. The couple times that he did mix it up, the blitz was effective, the one that stands out in my mind is the corner blitz by Nolan Carroll in (I think)the 3rd quarter. Different (unexpected) look, different results - go figure...

Julio Jones absolutely ripped us apart. Yes, he's a great receiver, but there comes a point where the success is shared by good talent (Julio), and bad defense (Philadelphia). As I said, Davis' solution to everything is to blitz. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; heck, that's what Jim Johnson did - blitz. There's major differences though: 1) Davis blitzes leaving the secondary on islands - if the blitz is ineffective, the corners get burnt (last night) - JJ took calculated and strategic risks often showing an all out blitz and then either bailing or 4 or 5 coming while others dropped back to help the secondary allowing them to play deep. 2) As I said previously, Davis doesn't mix it up - double A-gap blitzes all game (telegraphed too), JJ mixed it up throughout - zone blitzes, double A-gap blitzes, all out blitzes sending 6 or 7, blitz looks and only sending 4, the list can go on and on. 3) Davis can't adjust when he doesn't have an effective gamelan. It's like watching a game of Madden - same play over and over and over.

Anyway, that's the defense, I think you get my point - Davis sucks, this isn't college where you can send the same blitz over and over and not expect teams to pick it up right away.

As far as CK, on offense I was very upset to see him give up on the run so quickly. Yes, the Falcon's defense played great. But again, this isn't college, you're not going to have 5,6,7 yard gains in the run game as your minimum - you need to stick with it. Granted, the offensive line played like crap, and we're regretting letting BOTH Herremans AND Mathis go, but you can't throw the ball 50+ times - that's absurd. I believe in Kelly as an offensive mind, but he needs to open his eyes some, realize that he's the HEAD COACH, not the offensive coordinator and figure out the defense, especially with how much they're on the field. A great offense means nothing if the other team still outscores you when the clock reads 0:00 because your defensive coordinator lacks the pro ability to look beyond his ego and say that his gamelan and scheme are poor. We have a great defensive personnel but it's being poorly managed and implimented.

Maybe I'm overreacting (probably), maybe Kelly is in fact involved with the defense, maybe Davis is making adjustments. But the bottom line is - I'm the same things this year as I did last year, and I've seen poor defense for the past 6 years or so (RIP JJ). I've seen great defense in Midnight Green. I want to see it again...

*Steps off pedistal*

Something else to note, blitzing wasn't JJ's end all solution or gamelan. Look at the 2004 NFC Championship win against the Falcons. The running threat of Dunn, Ducket, and Vick formed his amazing gamelan of forcing the runners to come to them swarming to the ball carrier. It was a game of waiting on defense and it worked, leading to a 27-10 win. It was an amazing game and showed that JJ was and is a defensive mastermind.

Amari Cooper vs PacMan Jones

Way back when I played football I was never the toughest guy on the team, but I never backed down either. When I saw PacMan slamming Amari's head against his helmet, only for Amari to get up and do nothing about it, all I could do was shake my head. My coaches never encouraged fighting, but he always expects us to stand our ground. He also demands his players to back up each other in the event it's a DB being overmatched by an ILB for example. Amari simply got up, put his helmet on and walked back to the huddle. WTH! I'd love to hear the your thoughts. In particular anyone who has played the game.

Amari Cooper vs PacMan Jones

Way back when I played football I was never the toughest guy on the team, but I never backed down either. When I saw PacMan slamming Amari's head against his helmet, only for Amari to get up and do nothing about it, all I could do was shake my head. My coaches never encouraged fighting, but he always expects us to stand our ground. He also demands his players to back up each other in the event it's a DB being overmatched by an ILB for example. Amari simply got up, put his helmet on and walked back to the huddle. WTH! I'd love to hear the your thoughts. In particular anyone who has played the game.

Incredible toughness and level of maduration by Cooper. Nothing more to say.

Incredible toughness and level of maduration by Cooper. Nothing more to say.

I have to agree here. While I believe that standing up for yourself and your teammates is important and builds trust, chemistry, and character, having maturity is also very important especially with how the NFL handles things like this. I've never had the health or athletic ability to be on the field though, so I'm just talking from a fan perspective and is easy for me to say these things. But props to Cooper to be able to get up, shake off and go back about his business. He didn't let his emotions get the best of him in a situation where it was justified.

I have to agree here. While I believe that standing up for yourself and your teammates is important and builds trust, chemistry, and character, having maturity is also very important especially with how the NFL handles things like this. I've never had the health or athletic ability to be on the field though, so I'm just talking from a fan perspective and is easy for me to say these things. But props to Cooper to be able to get up, shake off and go back about his business. He didn't let his emotions get the best of him in a situation where it was justified.

I played and unfortunately, received chippy blocks in the back, attempts to block under the knees, trash talking, etc... But you have to keep composure and think about your teammates also... Cooper had a reason to be upset and deliver a hit right back to Jones, but we know how the NFL handles things like this. If Amari responds, a 15 yd penalty goes to Oakland, very impressive to see him stay calmed, specially for a rookie.

I'm not asking for Cooper to show any bravado by fighting. But there are ways to respond to the situation. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having game film isolated on them, but from what I did see Cooper did nothing the rest of the game. I can guarantee you, he's going to find himself picked on several more times this season.

I'm not asking for Cooper to show any bravado by fighting. But there are ways to respond to the situation. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having game film isolated on them, but from what I did see Cooper did nothing the rest of the game. I can guarantee you, he's going to find himself picked on several more times this season.

And meanwhile he gets picked on by opposing players, teams will get flagged and those players will get fined. Cooper is going to be a good receiver.

What an unbelievable game tonight. Got a W but I'm not pleased at all with the offense.

- Denver's offensive line is garbage, I understand KC's defense is good, but the OL is just playing pathetic, it's really embarrasing.

- I don't understand why Manning is put under center to make throws in dropbacks... He runs like a drunk giraffe and hasn't played under center in a consistent basis for years.

I'm in love with this defense, they played really bad early on, but settled down and continously made huge plays, except for T.J. Ward who played like garbage all game long.

Now seriously: I really DO feel bad for KC Chiefs fans, as much as I wanted Denver to win, that's just a heartbreaking way to lose, and even more from a RB who is one of the very best in the league.

Bottom line is that We didn't deserve to win, we have gotten incredibly lucky two weeks in a row, that won't happen a lot this season. This is a very deceiving 2-0 record.

Great game by Denver's defense for the fourth straight week... They are just relentless... On the other side of the coin, Manning looks pitiful out there, both INTs he threw, he threw the ball right to the defender and was THIS close from losing the game for us by himself.

On a side note, I'm thrilled that the NFL might come back to Mexico next year... Estadio Azteca hosted a game in 2005 and for some years, held the record of the highest amount of people watching with over 100K... I don't care who's coming, I would love to go.

Empathy... :(

Yep, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the Jeffrey Lurie ideology of simply outscoring and putting up points instead of stopping people from scoring. While offense is important, from 2008 and beyond has proven that defense is more important.

I say it every season: I miss J.J.

It's funny you say that, Jaguars fans don't care that teams can't run on them. They'd give their 1st child to average 20pts/game...